Unemployed New Yorkers can now upskill for free
The New York State Department of Labour is partnering with Coursera, a leading online training provider to offer more than 4,000 free programmes for unemployed New Yorkers.
These online courses and certificate programmes aim to provide free upskilling opportunities and boosting their job skills.
Through this initiative, a team of experts from the New York State Department of Labour will curate content based on industry demands to help job seekers gain skills to help programme participants advance in their careers.
The courses that will be available for free focus on “high-growth” and “in-demand” industry sectors, such as advanced manufacturing, health care, and technology.
Through this partnership, Coursera will provide access to courses in data science, business, and technology. Other courses on the platform include:
- How to Manage a Remote Team
- Business Writing
- Introduction to Mechanical Engineering Design and Manufacturing Machine Learning
- Motors and Motor Control Circuits
- Generative Design for Additive Manufacturing
- Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects
- Marketing in a Digital World
- Supply Chain Operations
- Influencing People
- The Science of Well-Being
- Data Science Specialisation
- Project Management
- Successful Negotiation: Essential Strategies and Skills
- Python for Everybody
- Google IT Support Professional Certificate
- The Business of Health Care Specialization
- Epidemiology for Public Health Specialization
- Medical Neuroscience
- Financial Markets
- Facebook Social Media Marketing
- Introduction to Game Development
- The Art of Negotiation
- AI for Everyone
- Introduction to HTML5
- Understanding User Needs
- Use Mailchimp to Build an E-mail Marketing Campaign
- Developing an Entrepreneurial Mindset: First Step Towards Success
- Introduction to iOS App Development
- Principles of Game Design
Additionally, many of these programmes are pathways to certifications, professional certificates, and can help elevate your career.
These courses, largely delivered by industry educators can be accessed via the state Labour Department website.
Governor of New York, Governor of New York Andrew M. Cuomo said, “the war against COVID-19 is one taking place on multiple fronts, and while we are doing everything we can to protect the health of New Yorkers, we must also take the steps necessary for building back a strong economy,”
“This new training platform will be key in this effort by ensuring unemployed and underemployed New Yorkers are not left behind by providing access to the resources and training they need to get back on their feet,” he added.